Top Social Menu


November 7, 2023

Executive Committee Members Present: Caroline Coscia (President); Sana Haroon (Vice President); Suha Ballout; Chris Barcelos; Lynne Benson; Dana Commesso; Monique Fuguet; Jessica Holden; Patricia Krueger-Henney; Linda Liu; Jared Poole; Wei Zhang

Others Present: Lorenzo Nencioli (FSU Senior Staff Member); Katie D’Urso (MTA Field Rep); Tony Van Der Meer

  1. Approval of Agenda: Agreement on the agenda as presented.

  2. Approval of Minutes: Motion to approve the October 24 Executive Committee meeting minutes. Motion seconded. Motion passes.

  3. Status of Vacant Assistant VC of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (Patricia): Discussion of Georgianna Melendez’s vacant position. Her departure was not announced to the campus community and her name is still on the UMB website. No plans have been announced for a replacement. This is a big concern for UMB regarding our commitment to health promotion and antiracism. FSU will contact the Administration to let them know that we are aware of this vacancy and to ask about their plan and timeline for filling the position. We need communication and transparency around this. We should alert our members about this and let them know we’re trying to get answers.

  4. Align Contract Expiration for April 30, 2028 (Jared): How can we as FSU be engaged with the larger labor movement in the US and around the world? To what extent is MTA thinking about broader strategy for getting some of the things that we need? What does MTA need from locals like us on this? UAW is asking for private sector unions to align their contracts with April 30, 2028 ( Jared will contact Max Page to ask what MTA is doing about this.

  5. Health Services Email on Tuberculosis Case: Discussion of Health Services email regarding confirmed tuberculosis case. The email that went out is a standard process with an open campus. This is a case with mandated reporting and Health Services is conducting contact tracing. Faculty are concerned. Instructions on what to do are very limited and there is no central place to find university information on this and other diseases. We need clearer information on the process and what to do. What kind of help can students get?

  6. FSU Endorsement Policy: Our policies need clarification on FSU endorsements. Our policies should guide our endorsements. Volunteers to work on creating/revising an endorsement policy: Monique, Lynne, Caroline, Dana. Lorenzo has some draft language that could be used to help with this. The committee will have language available for February and the Executive Committee will then vote to approve it.

  7. Member Communications Received at FSU Email Account: We received four emails to regarding the ceasefire petition and statement. Discussion of to what extent these emails should be shared with the Executive Committee. When emails come in, Lorenzo sends them to the president and vice president. Typically, the president responds. We should have a policy regarding responses to emails signed by the Executive Committee.  Emails could be compiled in a central location (a OneDrive folder) with access for Ex Comm members.

  8. Computer Replacement Program: Caroline will forward a message from IT regarding this program. IT said all “faculty of record” received new computers in 2021. What does this mean? Who receives new equipment? What is the policy? ALs don’t receive any equipment. They teach most of our classes and shouldn’t have to use their personal computers.



Motion passed in Executive Session to approve a full slate of all seven candidates who applied for the 24-27 Core Bargaining Team: Caroline Coscia, Ellen Frank, Jessica Holden, Keith Jones, Jason Rodriquez, Heike Schotten, and Steve Striffler.